Bruce Leonard Beal, J.D.
|This résumé shows long and deep experience in a wide range of business legal matters, which focused experience produces better business and legal judgment than is generally available from newer attorneys or attorneys whose practice is preoccupied with other types of matters.|
Experience In Detail
Private Practitioner Specializing in Business Law (2002-2014)
Supports emerging businesses, professional practices, and related persons who prefer not to pay the huge expense necessitated by in-house or large law firm corporate counsel in the following areas:
Business & Professional Entity Formation & Maintenance Complex Contract Negotiations, Drafting, Review, Interpretation & Claims Copyrights, Trademarks, License Agreements, and other Intellectual Property Matters Technology & Internet Matters Prevention of Litigation & Claims Construction & Engineering Projects International Transactions Contracting & Compliance Commercial Real Estate Purchase, Leases & Other Transactions Employment Matters Prestigious Home Projects Yachting Law Dispute Resolution & Litigation Management Corporate Policies & Procedures, including Employees Contract Policies & Procedures - Prime & Subcontracts
Corporate Counsel for Parsons Corporation (1989-1997)
Employed as legal counsel for $billion+ international design, engineering, and construction company, representing it in contracts, litigation, government contracting and compliance, employment issues, corporate formalities, and other general corporate legal issues.
Contracts Negotiator (1988-1989)
Negotiated, formulated, and administered complex contracts, including privatization projects, at Parsons for projects with constructed values into the $100s of millions with domestic and foreign, private and public clients in the petrochemical, cogeneration, transportation and other fields of engineering and construction.
International Legal Advisor (1984-1986)
Advised Parsons Engineering and Daniels Construction regarding engineering and construction legal matters, including joint venture, labor, major claims, and foreign government liaison in multi-national projects.
International Contracts Negotiator (1980-1984)
Hired by Parsons to negotiate, formulate and administer up to $350 million engineering and construction contracts with British, German, French, Japanese, Korean and other international construction companies. Hired by the Saudis to negotiate $130M claim against a famous Italian marble quarry company.
Private Practitioner (1974-1980)
Clerk and associate with top law firms in Portland, Oregon, specializing in business litigation. Commenced own law firm prior to joining Parsons.
Other Relevant Experience
Real Estate Development (1986-1988)
Assisted in the planning, development and marketing of a large, upper-class, single-family residential area.
Creator & Owner of Internet Neutral Mediation Services (1997-2003)
Internet NeutralSM was created by Bruce as the world's first fully online mediation service, offering a quick and inexpensive way to resolve disputes between Internet businesses and their customers or suppliers, wherever they may be in the world. He also personally developed a 200 page commercial website and this website.
Privatization of Airport Facilities at New Bangkok International Airport, Thailand (2000-1)
Preparation of proposal and 4 feasibility studies required by the Thai government for the privatization of various facilities for the new Thailand International Airport.
Privatized Metro Project, Taejon, Korea (2000)
Assisted client to prepare a competitive privatization Build/Lease/Transfer (BLT) proposal to Taejon Metropolitan City, South Korea to construct this City's first underground railway system. The proposal was the winning proposal.
Environmental Litigator (1998-2000)
Defended many depositions against plaintiffs, witnesses, and experts on behalf of defendants in various asbestos lawsuits.
Organizer and/or Legal Advisor for the following Nonprofits in alphabetical order:
- Center for Student Missions
- Dana Point Chamber of Commerce (Chair/Director)
- Dana Point Community Cycling Foundation
- Dana Point Fifth Marine Regiment Support Group
- Dana Point Harbor Youth Foundation
- Dana Point Historical Society (Director)
- Dana Point Symphony
- Dana Point Yacht Club (Judge Advocate for 15 years)
- Fashion Fighting Famine
- Festival of Whales Foundation
- Hare Krishna Global
- Holy Resurrection Orthodox Christian Monastery
- Heritage Museum of Orange County
- Third Battalion Fifth Marine Support Committee
- Wedding Industry Professionals Association
- Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude, Order of Quesitor — Lewis & Clark College
- Juris Doctor — Lewis & Clark Law School (rated #1 environmental law school in the nation) ~ American Jurisprudence Awards for Real Estate and Constitutional Law at Lewis & Clark School of Law.
- Author, "Proteus", book available here
- Author, "Online Mediation: Has Its Time Come?", Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2000
- Author, Engineering News Record (ENR) Articles: "The Looming Shadow of Liability: Litigation Update", June 6, 1994; "Liability Update: The Hazardous Waste Industry Remains at Risk", April 24, 1995.
- Presenter, "Virtual Mediation", ADR in Cyberspace Symposium, Ohio State University College of Law, 1999
- Board of Directors, Hazardous Waste Action Coalition (HWAC), 1994-1996
- Editor, HWAC Legal Services Newsletter, 1993-1996
- Chairman, Presenter, HWAC Lawyers' Roundtable, 1993-1995
- California State Bar Association, 1990-present
- Oregon State Bar Association, 1975-1999
- Vice-President, Lincoln County, Oregon, Bar Association, 1980
- Officer, Parsons Infrastructure & Technology Group and Parsons Engineering Science, Inc. and numerous subsidiaries thereof, 1989-1997
- Commended Legal Writing Assistant to Professor Leonard DuBoff, prolific legal scholar & writer, 1974-5
- Board of Directors, Past Chairman, Dana Point Chamber of Commerce, 2006-2012
- Judge Advocate, Dana Point Yacht Club, 2005-2016
- Director, Dana Point Historical Society, 2016-present
- Director, Hobie Memorial Foundation, 2015-present